Forsyth Hispanic Democrats and their allies visited Raleigh yesterday with the goal of speaking to our legislative delegation as well as other legislators about immigration issues, specifically, HB 141 (moratorium until June on giving drivers’ licenses to DACA recipients to allow further study) and HB 218 (Not allowing undocumented students to attend State Universities or community colleges, period) as well as HB 184 (allowing DACA recipients to receive licenses).
I have attached all the bills as well as more extensive notes from our meetings. All contacts are at the end of this message
Here is their advice for action:
1. We cannot let up the pressure to change this discriminatory license design and to push forward the issuing of drivers’ licenses for DACA recipients.
2. We need to go to our faith-based communities and ask them to produce resolutions to this effect and send them to the General Assembly, the Governor and the Secretary of Transportation. Perhaps we could also ask our City Council to do the same?
3. We need to call Governor McCrory and Secretary Tata (pronounced ‘tayta’) and tell them our views on this subject.
4. We need to try to change public opinion by writing letters to the editor to our local papers and talking to our Republican friends and neighbors about the effects of such discrimination on businesses and growth in NC.
5. We need to go back to Raleigh regularly to keep up the pressure.
Rep. Glazier stated that he will craft a message for us to take to our churches in the next day or so.
We give our thanks to all of our representatives and senators for their courage and efforts in behalf of the people of North Carolina. Stay strong! You are not alone!
–Mary, Guy, Sonya, Rene, Peggy and Kathy
Governor Pat McCrory…you may speak to him on any of these issues:
919-733-5811 [email protected]
Forsyth Delegation in Raleigh:
Other Democrats we should know
Rep. Luebke 919-733-7663 [email protected] sponsored HB 184
Rep. Glazier: 919-733-5601 [email protected] sponsored HB 184
Rep. Rosa Gill 919-733-5880 [email protected] sponsored HB 184
Rep. Deb McManus 919-733-0057 [email protected] sponsored HB 184
Representatives aiming to deny DACA students and other undocumented people entrance into state universities and
community colleges through HB 218 CALL THEM!
Rep. George Cleveland 919-715-6707 [email protected]
Rep. Chris Whitmire 919-715-4466 [email protected]
Attorney General Roy Cooper (919) 716-6400 [email protected]
He has come out in favor of issuing license so thank him!
Calling the DMV directly about license design:
(919)861-3015- Eric Boyette, (Acting DMV Commissioner)
NC Department of Transportation: Secretary Tony Tata (“taytah”)